Hello Stamping Friends!
Welcome to my page of FREE TUTORIALS, where I’ll share tutorials on how to make cards, embellishments, do special techniques, and other fun stuff! I hope you enjoy what I have to share – I always welcome comments and suggestions!
FULL SIZED GIFT CARD HOLDERS
You can see the post on these full sized gift card holders HERE. There’s another picture with more samples, using retired papers and stamp sets.
LEPRECHAUN PUNCH ART
From Blushing Bride cardstock, punch the following:
Face: 1 ¾” Circle
Ears & Nose: ¾” Circle (total 3)
Hands: 7/8” Scallop Circle (total 2)
From Garden Green cardstock, punch or cut the following:
Shirt: 2 ½” Circle
Arms: Small Oval (total 2)
Hat: cut 1 rectangle – 1 ½” x 1 3/4” – round off top 2 corners
Hat Brim: cut 1 rectangle measuring ¾” x 2 ½” – round off all corners
From Cajun Craze cardstock, punch the following:
Mustache: 2 bird bodies from the Bird Builder punch
Beard: 2 3/8” Scallop Circle (1), 1 ¾” Scallop Circle (1)
From Black cardstock, cut:
Hat Band: rectangle measuring ½” x 2 ½”
From Gold Foil cardstock:
Shamrock: use the smallest Heart Framelit to die cut 3 hearts and stem
Sponge Daubers, Glue Dots, Tombow Glue, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Rhinestone embellishment (1), Pearl embellishments (2), Black Sharpie Marker, Ink Pads in Blushing Bride, Mossy Meadow, Cajun Craze
1). Punch out all pieces for the leprechaun, and lay them out prior to assembly.
2.) Using Sponge Daubers and inks, sponge the edges of each of the pieces with the coordinating colours; use Mossy Meadow ink on the Garden Green pieces.
3). Assemble the leprechaun by doing the following:
Glue the 2 birds together by layering the heads together and gluing with Tombow glue. Then attach the nose using Stampin’ Dimensional on the back of 1 of the ¾” Blushing Bride circles, and place it where the 2 bird heads join.
- Next, glue the 2 layers of the beard together, offsetting the scallops.
- Glue the (2) ¾” circles on either side of the head to create the ears, leaving ½ of each circle showing.
- Put together the hat by first gluing the black band across the bottom of the large Garden Green rectangle, then glue the brim across the bottom of the black band.
- Use Glue Dots to attach the 3 hearts together, then attach the stem to the back of the 3 hearts to create the shamrock. Now attach the shamrock to the right side of the hat, on the brim, using a Stampin’
- Create the hands by cutting each of the 7/8” Scallop Circles in half, rounding the cut edges. Glue one each to the ends of the 2 Garden Green Small Ovals.
4) Complete the assembly of the leprechaun:
- Glue the face on top of the beard layers, attaching it using the Tombow glue. The top of the head should show above the top of the beard.
- Place a Stampin’ Dimensional in the middle of the back of the nose, and attach it to the middle of the face, leaving a bit of the face showing below the mustache, as the leprechaun’s mouth.
- Attach the hat to the head using Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Place Dimensionals at the top of the 2 ½” Garden Green Circle (body), and attach the head.
- On each arm, place a Dimensional near the hand area on the back, and then attach it to the body with the hands inward, across the body.
- 5). Use the Black Sharpie Marker to colour 2 of the Pearl embellishments, then attach them to the face, just above the mustache, on either side of the nose.
6). Attach the Rhinestone embellishment to the middle of the shamrock
You can download the PDF of this tutorial by clicking this link: Stamp and Create Leprechaun Punch Art Tutorial
MANTLE DECOR CARD – ACCORDION FOLD
Base – cardstock of your choice (I used Old Olive)
(2) pieces 3 1/2″ x 11″
(1) piece 3 1/2″ x 5 3/4″
Card stock for layering (your choice; I used Whisper White)
(15) pieces 1 1/2″ x 3 1/4″
DSP for layering (I used All is Calm)
(4) pieces 1 1/4″ x 2 1/2″
(4) pieces 1 1/4″ x 2″
Take the (2) pieces of your base card stock that are 3 1/2″ x 11″, and score
each one at 1 1/4″, 3 1/2″, 5 1/4″, 7″, 8 3/4″ and 10 1/2″
Next take the (1) piece of your base card stock that is 3 1/2″ x 5 1/4″, and
score it at 1 1/4″, 3 1/2″ and 5 1/4″.
Accordion fold all pieces.
To round the corners, insert each crease into the Corner Rounder end of the
Envelope Punch Board. (you will be inserting & punching 2 layers at a
Do this to all the folds, including the small end edges, to round all the
Next, apply Sticky Strip to the small tabbed edge of one of the 11″ strips,
and attach the other 11″ strip .
Do the same thing with the 5 1/4″ strip, so that now you have on long strip
with 15 sections/panels.
Now you’re ready to decorate your panels as you wish, placing the Whisper
White panels on each panel except the one between the ‘Y’ in Merry and the
‘C’ in Christmas; alternating the DSP panels (picture of my project is
attached for reference).
For the letters, I used what I had on hand, which was the retired Morning
Post alphabet, and the retired Small Tag Punch. If you have different
alphabets, you can use circle punches or different shapes, whatever fits
I alternated my letters between Real Red and Old Olive.
On the Whisper white panels, I used the White Christmas, Holiday Home and
last year’s snowflake stamps; I also used the star from Come to Bethlehem.
I also used the Frosted Sequins (holiday catalogue) for some ‘shine’.
CARD IN A BOX
Tutorial by Deborah Smart
Cardstock – 5 ½” x 8 ½” for card base
Cardstock – 1” x 2 ½” (2) –for inserts
Cardstock – 2 ¼” x 1 ¾” (3) for bottom panels
Cardstock – 2 ¾” x 1 ¾” (4) for top panels
DSP – 2” x 1 ½” (3) for bottom panels
DSP – 2 ½” x 1 ½” (4) for top panels
Tombow Multipurpose Glue
1) Take 5 ½” x 8 ½” cardstock and score at ½”, 2 ½”, 4 ½” and 6 ½” along long edge
2) Turn and score at 3”, on the end without the ½” score line. Stop score line after the 3rd scored ‘box’
3) Snip up score lines until you reach the 3” score line; this will create your 2 ½” x 2” ‘flaps’. Do not cut up on the skinny ½” score line on this side.
4) On the opposite side, cut off the small ½” flap at the end up to the 3” score line (on the top end flap).
5) Now layer your cardstock and Designer Paper for each flap (3 on the bottom – (1) front, (2) sides), and 4 for the ‘flaps’ ((1) front, (2) sides, and (1) upper back).
6) Using Multipurpose glue, glue each of the decor panels to the appropriate box panel, before assembling the box form. The top & bottom of the very back panel should remain blank – this is where you would stamp your sentiment/write your message to the recipient.
7) Add Sticky Strip to the small ½” wide flap, and adhere the flap closed on the inside of the bottom of the box. This will hide the closure, and make the box shape.
8) Take the 2 pieces of 1” x 2 ½” cardstock, and score at ¼” at each end of both pieces. Fold 1 scored end forwards, and the other scored end backwards, creating a ‘Z’ shape.
9) Place Sticky Strip on each end; then place each strip width-wise across the inside of the box, about 1/3 of the way from the front, and 1/3 from the back. This is where you will attach some of your design embellishments for your card.
10) Now add whatever embellishment you like, depending on the occasion for the card.
‘Life Doesn’t have to be Perfect’ Card
Card base – Whisper White 5 ½” x 8 ½”, scored at 4 ¼”
1st Panel – Crisp Cantaloupe cardstock, 5 ¼” x 4”
Extra – Whisper White pieces for stamping & punching flowers; Pistachio Pudding pieces for leaves
Stamp sets: Perfect Pennants, Mixed Bunch, Triple Treat Flower (retired)
Inks: Crisp Cantaloupe, Pistachio Pudding, Strawberry Slush, Coastal Cabana
Tools: Blossom Punch, Fancy Flower Punch, Bird Builder Punch, ½” Circle Punch, Labels Collection Framelits, Big Shot
Other: Gold Sequins, Dimensionals, Tombow Multipurpose Glue, Paper Snips, Pretty Prints Embossing Folder (retired)
1. Fold the Whisper White cardstock base on the score line; set aside.
2. Using the Labels Collection Framelit, the Big Shot and the Magnetic Platform, cut the shape slightly off centre (towards the right hand side) on the Crisp Cantaloupe cardstock. (you are cutting it off-centre to allow room for the flowers to be attached).
3. Using the Pretty Prints embossing folder, the Big Shot and standard cutting plate, embossing the Crisp Cantaloupe cardstock panel that you just cut with the Framelit. Set aside.
4. Using the pieces of Whisper White cardstock, first stamp one large flowers from the Mixed Bunch stamp set in Coastal Cabana ink. Then stamp one of the smaller flowers from the same set, in Strawberry Slush. Punch out using the Blossom Punch and the ½” Punch.
5. Using the Triple Treat Flower stamp, stamp the flower 3 times, once each in Strawberry Slush, Pistachio Pudding and Crisp Cantaloupe.
6. Using the Fancy Flower punch, punch out the full flower in Strawberry Slush. Then using the Paper Snips (or the coordinating retired punch, if you have it) cut out the middle flower, in Pistachio Pudding. Finally, use the ½” punch to punch out the centre flower in Crisp Cantaloupe.
7. Using Dimensionals in between the layers, stack the layers of the Triple Treat Flower. Then glue the smallest Strawberry Slush flower from the Mixed Bunch set onto the large Mixed Bunch flower.
8. Using the Bird Builder Punch, punch out a set of 3 leaves from the Pistachio Pudding cardstock.
9. Using the Dimensionals, adhere the Crisp Cantaloupe panel to the card base. Stamp the sentiment from Perfect Pennants using Crisp Cantaloupe on to the Whisper White card base, in the centre of the Framelit opening.
10. Then, adhere the flowers and leaves to the left side of the opening, making sure you can see the stamped sentiment.
11. Apply a few of the Gold Sequins randomly to the card, using Tombow Multipurpose glue.
~~‘Thinking of You’ Card
Cardstock: Crumb Cake card base – 5 ½” x 8 ½”, scored at 4 ¼”; Very Vanilla 4 ¼”x 3 ½”; Crisp Cantaloupe 3 ½”x 3”
Designer Series Paper: Mocha Morning Specialty Paper (retired) 5 ¼” x 4”
Stamp Set: Thoughts & Prayers
Ink: Crumb Cake
Tools: Labels Collection Framelits, Big Shot
Other: Crumb Cake Scalloped Tulle Ribbon (retired), Gold Bakers Twine; Sponge Dauber, Dimensionals
1. Fold the 5 ½” x 8 ½” Crumb Cake cardstock at the score line; set aside.
2. Cut the Very Vanilla cardstock with the Labels Collection Framelit (4th from the inside), and then the Crisp Cantaloupe cardstock with the 3rd (from the inside) Framelit, using the Big Shot.
3. Stamp the tree image in Crumb Cake ink onto the centre of the Crisp Cantaloupe shape. Then stamp the ‘Thinking of You’ sentiment next to the tree, also in Crumb Cake ink.
4. Place the Very Vanilla Framelit shape onto the centre of the Mocha Morning Specialty Paper, using Dimensionals.
5. Wrap the Crumb Cake Scallop Tulle around the back of the Mocha Morning paper, and across the Very Vanilla layer , with both ends towards the left side of the card. Now twist the Gold Baker’s twine around the Tulle, and tie them both together in a knot on the left hand side of the card.
6. Now layer the stamped Crisp Cantaloupe layer on top of the Very Vanilla, Tulle & Baker’s Twine, centering it. Then layer that on top of the Crumb Cake card base.
~~‘Sending Good Thoughts’ Pop-Up Card
Cardstock: Whisper White 11” x 4 ¼”, scored at 5 ½”; Whisper White 1 ¾” x 3”; Whisper White 1 ¼”x 1 ¼”; Daffodil Delight 5 ¼” x 4”; Marina Mist 6 ¼” x 3” – scored at 1 ½”, 3”, 4 ½” and 6”
Designer Series Paper: Polka Dot Parade (Marina Mist) 2” x 3 ¾”
Stamp Set: Perfect Pennants
Inks: Daffodil Delight; Marina Mist
Tools: Decorative Dots Embossing Folder; Banner Framelits Dies; Big Shot
Other: Scallop Polka Dot ribbon in Marina Mist (retired); Dimensionals, Sticky Strip; Paper Snips; Tissue
1. Fold Whisper White card base at 5 ½” score line; set aside.
2. Run Daffodil Delight through the Big Shot using the Decorative Dots embossing folder. Do the same with the Marina Mist piece of cardstock.
3. Wrap Marina Mist Scallop ribbon across top of the Daffodil Delight panel, leaving about ¼” from the top. Then adhere this panel to the card base.
4. On the small piece of Whisper White cardstock, stamp the ‘Good Thoughts’ sentiment in Daffodil Delight ink. Cut out using the coordinating Banner Framelits Die; then cut the Polka Dot designer series paper with the next largest size of Banner Framelit. Layer these 2 pieces together, with the sentiment on top, using Dimensionals.
5. Stamp the Heart shape in Marina Mist ink, and cut out by hand using the Paper Snips.
6. Place the 2 layered banner shapes in the centre of the Daffodil Delight panel, and the heart shape in the upper right corner of the panel, using the Dimensionals.
7. Using either a craft knife or trimmer, make a small ¼” long slit lengthwise in the Marina Mist cardstock on the 2nd large panel from the skinniest scored end.
8. Fold the scored and embossed piece of Marina Mist cardstock on the score lines; adhere with sticky strip into a hollow box shape.
9. Place Sticky Strip on the bottom and back of the ‘box’, and attach it in the centre of the card at the fold line. The box will fold & unfold when the card is opened and closed. (make sure the slit is at the top of the box)
10. Cut your tissue in half, and then peel it apart so it is 1 layer. Fold it into a triangle, and place inside the slit you made on the top of the box.
~~‘Don’t Believe it’s Your Birthday’ Card
Cardstock: Pistachio Pudding 5 ½” x 8 ½”, scored at 4 ¼”; Basic Black 5 ¼” x 4”; Pool Party 5” x 3 ¾”; Whisper White 3” x 1 ¾”
Designer Series Paper: Sweet Sorbet
Stamp Set: See Ya Later
Inks: Pool Party, Tangerine Tango, Daffodil Delight Stampin’ Write Markers
Tools: Postage Stamp Punch; Chalk Talk Framelits; Big Shot
Other: Sweet Sorbet Accessory Pack (Pool Party & Summer Starfruit twine); Pearls Basic Jewels; Dimensionals, Sticky Strip
1. Cut a strip of the striped design Sweet Sorbet paper 4 ¾” x 1 ¼”; glue to centre of Pool Party cardstock panel.
2. Using the Postage Stamp Punch, punch out 6 squares from 6 designs of Sweet Sorbet Designer Series Paper. Space these evenly above & below the striped piece of Sweet Sorbet DSP on the Pool Party cardstock, and adhere with Dimensionals.
3. Adhere the Pool Party panel to the Basic Black cardstock panel.
4. Wrap the Pool Party and Summer Starfruit twine across the front of the striped Sweet Sorbet DSP in the centre, in an ‘x’ fashion, and adhere ends to the back of the cardstock.
5. Fold the Pistachio Pudding cardstock on the 4 ¼” score line.
6. Now adhere the 2 panels to the centre of the Pistachio Pudding cardstock base.
7. Using the Stampin’ Write Markers, colour in the sentiment stamp, and stamp on the small spare piece of Whisper White cardstock. Using the Chalk Talk Framelit and Big Shot, cut this out, and adhere to the centre of the card, above the ‘x’ of the twine.
8. Place one Pearl Basic Jewel on either side of the sentiment piece (on the striped centre piece of DSP).
~~‘Make a Wish’ Joy-Fold Card
Cardstock: Gumball Green 4 ¼” x 8 ½” scored at 5 ½” Gumball Green 3 ¼” x 8 ½” scored at 4 ¼”; 1”x1” square; Whisper White cardstock 3 ¾” x 2 ¾” , and 4” x 3” , and 1”x1” square, and 1 ½” x 2”
Designer Series Paper: Birthday Basics -5 ¼” x 4” (inside back panel); 2 ¾” x 4” (left side panel); 4” x 3” (small outside front panel)
Stamp Sets: Gorgeous Grunge; Another Great Year
Inks: Bermuda Bay, Crisp Cantaloupe, Real Red Classic Ink Pads and Stampin’ Write Markers
Other: Anywhere Glue Stick; Dimensionals
1. Fold Gumball Green cardstock pieces on the score lines. For the 4 ¼” x 8 ½” piece, orient the ‘flap’ on the left hand side. For the smaller piece, have it opening to the right (instead of the traditional left opening).
2. Using the Everywhere Glue Stick, glue the Designer Series Paper to the corresponding parts of the card bases.
3. On the 3 ¾” x 2 ¾” Whisper White cardstock, stamp the ‘splotches’ image from the Gorgeous Grunge stamp set first in Bermuda Bay, then Crisp Cantaloupe. Adhere this to the front of the smaller ‘card’.
4. On the 1 ½” x 2” piece of Whisper White cardstock, stamp the ‘Make a Wish’ in Bermuda Bay ink. Use the Chalk Talk Framelit and the Big Shot to cut this out. Then adhere it using Dimensionals, centred on top of the ‘splotched’ cardstock.
5. On the 4” x 3” piece of Whisper White cardstock, stamp the ‘Another Great year’ sentiment in Bermuda Bay ink. Then glue this to the inside of the small ‘card’.
6. Using the Everywhere Glue Stick, glue the back flap of the small ‘card’ to the inside of the larger card. Ensure that the flap is opening to the right, and the flap of the large card is opening to the left. Place it slightly towards the right side of the large card.
7. Colour the cupcake image with the Stampin’ Write Markers, and stamp on the smallest piece of Whisper White cardstock. Glue it to the small piece of Gumball Green cardstock.
8. Finally, place a Dimensional on the left side of the back of the cupcake piece, and place it on the front of the card, so that the right corner of it will hold the ‘flap’ of the smallest card (with the ‘Make a Wish’ on it) closed.
PAPER PUNCH BOW
I just love this paper bow on this card – and so did my class, when they made it! When I showed it to them, and told them they were going to make it – well, you should’ve seen their faces, and heard the ‘oh, no!’
Well, they were all pleasantly surprised at just how easy it was, and how you get a perfect bow, each time!
Here’s what you need to get started:
2″x1 3/8″ Oval Punch
Designer Series Paper of your choice
-Punch 4 Ovals using the 2″ x 1 3/8″ Oval Punch
-Layer 2 of the ovals together, and fold the outside edges together til they meet – you don’t need to create a fold line down the middle
-Using the Paper Snips, angle them upwards from the outside front edge, and snip.
-Lay the 2 ovals that you just snipped ‘tails’ in end -to-end (unsnipped ends together), and place a small piece of Sticky Strip across the centre, adhereing both ovals together, as shown in the picture below
-Take one of the unsnipped ovals, and place a Glue Dot on the inside (the side you don’t want showing) of one end, as shown in the picture.
-Once the Glue Dot is in place, bring the other end of the oval over, and join the two ends together.
-Remove the red liner from the Sticky Tape on the 2 joined ‘tails’, and adhere the two ‘loops’ you just made on top of either tail.
EEK! I forgot to add the finishing touch! To make the centre of the bow, cut a small strip of the DSP.
On the back side of the bow tails, place a small piece of Sticky Strip across the tails. Adhere one end of the small DSP strip to the top portion of the sticky strip, as shown in the photo below:
Next, wrap the strip around the front centre of the bow, and adhere the other end to the other half of the Sticky Strip, above the 1st end. Snip off any excess paper.
If you like to add a little ‘lift’ to your bow tails, just use your Bone Folder to curl the ends towards you. If your bow loops got a little ‘smooshed’ in the construction, just use your paper piercer, or a pencil, and insert it inside the loop, to separate and ‘poof’ it up again (I know, I keep using all these technical terms – LOL!).
Congratulations! You now have your bow completed! Now you can adhere it to your card, or gift, or page with a Dimensional or Glue Dot.
EXTENDED CARD WITH THINLIT CARD DIES
Do you love the new Thinlit Card Dies as much as I do?! I just love making flip cards, and these new dies have made it so much easier, and quicker to do!
The one thing I do like to change however, is to add an extra ‘flap’ onto my flip card, so that I have room to write something to my card’s recipient. So here I’m going to show you an easy-peasy way to do just that!
Here is a sample of my Flip Card, with the extended, extra flap:
And this is the Thinlit Card without the extra ‘flap’:
Here’s what you need to get started:
Card stock cut to 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ (colour of your choice for card base)
Thinlit Card Die (Label or Circle)
Big Shot Die Cutting Machine with Multipurpose Platform and 2 Standard Cutting Plates
-Place your card stock in your Thinlit Card Die
-Pull the card stock up through the Thinlit Card Die at the right hand side, so that the card stock is ABOVE the cutting edge. See picture below for example.
– Put the Multipurpose Platform in the Big Shot base, then top it with 1 of the Standard Cutting Plates
-Place the card stock and Thinlit Card Die on top of that cutting plate, and top it with the 2nd Cutting Plate.
-Remove the card stock from the Big Shot and Thinlit Die
-You will be able to see the cuts for the Label ‘flip’ portion, as well as the score-lines for folding. You can also faintly see the indent along the far right hand side of the card shape, where the cutting edge was underneath the card stock. (see picture below).
-Use your Simply Scored to make a clearer score for the extra fold
-Use your Bone Folder to fold and crease on all folds.
Your Thinlits Flip Card is ready to be decorated and embellished however you like!
‘NO-CUT’ GIFT HOLDER
SHAVING CREAM TECHNIQUE
Cover a 5”x 5” clean rectangular tin or plate (flat surface) with shaving cream.
Drop several drops of co-ordinating re-inker colours randomly on top of the shaving cream (2-3 colours).
Use a toothpick or skewer to swirl the colours together; don’t mix together too much, or the colours will turn ‘muddy’.
Place the neutral coloured cardstock (we used Whisper White) gently on top of the colour-swirled shaving cream.
Gently lift the cardstock from the shaving cream, and use a paper towel to wipe off the excess shaving cream.
You now have a beautifully coloured sheet of cardstock to use as a background, or you can punch or die-cut shapes from it.